RAAQUU is a ceramic art brand founded in 2020. Manifested from the inspired mind of ceramic artist Adil Abdul Ghani, RAAQUU intends to make the magical world of Raku ceramics more accessible to ceramic art lovers all over the world..
Almost 15 years ago, Adil was enamored with Raku pottery while undergoing a ceramics training program in Japan. He made a daring step to hone his expertise in all things Raku and the result of that decision led to the birth of RAAQUU.
Raku ceramics are special because of the unpredictability of the raku firing technique. Raku firing is done in an extremely hot kiln and then removed while the ceramic piece is still red-hot or molten. Immediately after coming out of the kiln, the ceramic piece is then placed in a reduction chamber – usually a simple metal bin or container – filled with sawdust or paper. The extreme heat from the ceramic piece then ignites the combustible material in the reduction chamber, which is then sealed for a while. What happens inside the reduction chamber next is the key to the unique and unpredictable colors and patterns of each raku ceramic piece.
Adil’s Raku pieces comes in 6 different types of finishes: full-copper matte, half-copper matte, smoked (or ‘naked’), carbon half-copper Matte, tape resist and obvara (a slightly varied technique of firing).
At RAAQUU, each ceramic piece cannot be reproduced. This makes each piece a unique, one-of-a-kind work of art with its own story to tell.
CV & Education
Bachelor of Art and Design (Ceramics) - Universiti Teknologi MARA, Malaysia.
Ceramics Technology and Technical Program (Saga Ceramics Training Program) - Japanese International Cooperation Agency (JICA) at Saga Ceramics Research Laboratory, Saga, Japan.
- Aug 2016 - Awarded ‘ABLE CERAMIST’ certification by Goseong County - Governor, South Korea.
- Jan 2010 - Malaysian Glasgow Doctoral Colloquium (MGDC) - Appointed as Deputy Head of Gifts & Certificate Committee at Scottish Exhibition and Conference Centre (SECC) in Glasgow, United Kingdom.
- Dec 2006 - Awarded ‘Saga Yoshinogari Goodwill Ambassador’ by the Governor of Saga Prefecture Government, Japan.
- Sept 2019 - The First International Handicrafters Festival Kokand - Kokand City, Uzbekistan.
- Nov 2017 - Kuala Lumpur International Craft Festival (KLICF) - Putrajaya, Malaysia.
- Nov 2016 - Kuala Lumpur International Craft Festival (KLICF) - Craft Complex, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
- Aug 2016 - The 7th SELSIUS International Ceramic Festival - National Art Gallery, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
- Aug 2016 - Goseong International Raku Festival - Goseong-Gun, South Korea.
- Feb 2016 - AMBIENTE Trade Fair - Messe Frankfurt, Frankfurt, Germany.
- Aug 2015 - Tokyo International Gift Show - Tokyo Big Sight, Tokyo, Japan.
- Jul 2015 - Singapore Gifts & Premiums Show - Marina Bay Sand, Singapore.
- Oct 2014 - Hong Kong Mega Show (Part 1) - Hong Kong Exhibition & Convention Centre, Hong Kong.
- Interior Decor : Higashiyama Niseko Village, A Ritz Carlton Reserve, Japan.