My practice has been is underpinned by my work in education and working with young people in SEMH. My work is a fusion of cultural references that combine story telling history and observation of the human interactions and daily life. The work brings together the concept of drawing, painting, portraiture and the human figure. I have a strong Folk Art aesthetic which runs concurrently through my work. I work across surfaces and my favourite material to paint on is wood, whether that be a found piece or bespoke primed panel.
My early backgroud in advertising and ilustration and my love of the graphic line, have informed my practice and my style of painting and drawing. In my work I fuse styles and aim to communincate my narrative by use of line, strong composition and subject. I am motivated by the need to mark mark and paint. My work is a mixture of observastions of everyday people, historical content and is part autobiographical. I paint and draw the black in a context whilst highlighting issues of identity, isolation and cultural observations; all themes that I personally expereince consistently. The virsatility in my work signifies how I see the world and my place within it. As a Art Therapist and a Thrive Practioner I am able to combine Neuroscience and art in exploring adolescent behaviour and support young people with regualting there emotions.
My ambition is to be signed up a reptuble gallery in USA, UK or Europe and exhibit my work and show larger works and the diversity of my practice as an artist. An ambition of mine is to have a work in a museum.
CV & Education
BA (Hons) Youth & Community Work, Higher Diploma in Youth & Community Work
Post grad in Advertising & design ( Portfolio ), Certificate in Graphic Design.
23 years’ experience in Education, charity and public sector. Specialist in behaviour and working with primary and secondary education students using Art
MEMBERSHIP OF PROFESSIONAL ORGANISATIONS
2020 ACME studio resident
2020 Registered THRIVE Practitioner.
2020 Member of A-N ( Artist Newsletter )
2003 – 06 Board member (Secretary) for LYAN (London Youth Arts Network)
2020 - A-N Artist Bursary award
2020 Awarded one of (5) commisons for Serendpity (Leciester, Arts Council Funded)
SELECTED EXHIBITIONS AND COMMUNITY ART PROJECTS
2020 The art of the Outsider, Nelly Duff, London
2013 Moniker Art Fair, London, Tag Fine Arts
2013 Pen and Ink and a lick of paint, Solo show Faversham, Kent
2010 BAF New York, Tag Fine Arts
2009 Drewetts Autcioneers, Group Show Nick Walker, Goldie, D-Face etc.
2007 Transition Gallery, Blanc Noir, group exhibition ( Oct 2007 )
2007 Torture Foundation, Art Auction with Bridgette Riley, Ralph Stedman
2007 Mulberry School for Girls, workshops for National Youth Conference
2006 Art Miami. Art Chicago USA ( showing 5 drawings and paintings ) with ST-ART gallery
2005 Identity exhibition – ( Exhibition exploring identity ), collaboration with 5 artists
Chapel Gallery,Ormskirk, Lancashire.UK
2005 Open Spaces, Nottingham
2005 Raw Arts Festival, Candid Arts, London.
2004 Art Auction, Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer in conjunction with Sotheby’s, London.
2004 Raw Tower Hamlets Summer University. SS Robin Barge. Canary Wharf
2003 No Fear, Street Art Project in partnership with Brady Arts Centre. Whitechapel. London.
2002 Urban Art #2, Summer University, Tower Hamlets. Whitechapel. London.
2002 Passsge Cloute Beaux Arts, PARIS, France, Childrens Arts Workshop.
2002 Open Studios, Cable St. London
2002 East London Printmakers, London
2001 Urban Art, Tower Hamlets Summer University. Whitechapel. London
2001 Urban Art, Workshop, Royal Festival Hall. Southbank. London.
2001 Street Art Workshop, POPLAR Harca. London
2001 L’atelier des enfants, Childrens Community Art Project and workshop. Paris. France.
2001 Kids Stuff, Children’s Art Project and workshops. POPLAR Harca.London.
2001 Open Studios, ACME. London
2000 Open Studios, Cable St. London
2000 Raw, Decima Gallery. Bermondsey. London.
- John Lewis Partnership c/o Attic & King & McGraw publishing, 2012
- Print and card designs as part of Home range, launched in Sept 2012.
- Nelly Duff, London, 2019 – present
· The Other Art Fair, London, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
· The Affordable Art Fair, London, New York, Chicago, 2004/03/05/06/07/08/09/10-2019
· Works on paper, RCA. ( Royal College of Art) 2005, 2004,2003
· Zoo Artfair 2005, London
· Art Chicago 2005/2004/2003, USA.
· Art Miami – Miami Florida,USA- 2004/2005/2006
· The Art on Paper Fair, London – 2003/02/01
· Battersea Contemporary Art Fair, London – 2003/02//01/00/99
· Brussels Art Fair, Brussels – 2003/2004
· Art Europe, Paris. France – 2002/2001/2000/1999
· Gent Belgium Flanders Expo. Brussels. Belgium – 2002/2001
· La Bastille, Paris – 2002/2001
WORK IN COLLECTIONS/COMMISSIONS
· NHS – The Royal London Hospital, Mural on Grosvenor B Children’s Ward
Private commission (2) 8ft by 5ft paintings. London.
· Commissioned by Eddie and Nina Fowler. JKD Associates. (London)
· My work is in private collections in Europe: Italy, Switzerland, Paris, Israel, Spain, New York, Australia and England.
· Tag Fine Arts, London, 2008 – 2009
· Rebecca Hossack, London & New York, 2009 - 2011
EDITORIALS AND PUBLICATIONS
· Interview, Hidden Depths,Beast Magazine, (April 2020)
· Articles in The Guardian, ( 25thJan 2006 ) Naïve artist draws on life experiencesby
· The Independent on Sunday. May 21st (2006) Catherine Jarvie.
· The Art Newspaper, No. 157, April 21, 2005
· Southwark Weekender, December 10th2004. Issue 33
· The Guide, The Guardian, Saturday November 27 – Friday December 2004.
DESIGN AND GRAPHIC COMMISSIONS
1989 – 1995
DESIGNS FOR T-SHIRTS
Top Shop, Daniel James, Skate and Club Market. Logos for independent Record labels.
Set up my own gallery f-art ( Artspace ) off Brick Lane London E2 in April 2005 - 2009, selling and promoting original graphic art alongside contemporary and selected works by illustrators, photographers and artists. Exhibiting and showing vintage collectables objects, furniture art, toys and Artbooks.
· Published by King & McGraw 20011 – 2015 and
· Polite cards Polite Cards with artists Sir Peter Blake, David Shrigley, Stella Vine